Surreal: Get a Closer Look at China’s ‘Largest Ghost City’
Some analysts say they’ll soon be “thriving metropolises,” while others say these experiments in central planning will lead to a massive housing crash.
But most everyone agrees on one thing: China’s infamous ghost cities are both mysterious and dreary.
“China has been trying to get a grip on its property market for some times now and some say officials are in control and have been deflating the housing bubble,” Business Insider notes. “However, the risks of the housing bubble evolving into a financial crisis appear to be high.”
So what’s the problem? Why are these cities abandoned?
Indeed, according to Also Sprach Analyst and author Christopher Pavese, the problem in China can be summed up in three words: Misallocation of capital.
“The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) was a single-party state ruled by the Communist Party,” Pavese writes, explaining the similarities between China and the old Soviet Union.
“The state was structured under a highly-centralized government and a command economy, meaning both capital and resources could be mobilized quickly and proficiently,” he adds.
However, speed and agility don’t always translate into efficiency. It could mean hastily pumping massive amounts of capital into investments with short-term gain but long-term consequences. It could mean a housing boom followed by a debilitating crash.
Here’s some fascinating footage of Zhengzhou, named China’s largest ghost city in 2010 by The Daily Mail, from a recent “60 Minutes” report on China’s housing bubble:
As Vanke CEO Wang Shi told “60 Minutes,” many of Zhengzhou’s developers are in debt.
“Many have abandoned projects midway through because the money dried up. He warned that if the bubble really did burst, China could see its version of the Arab Spring,” Business Insider notes.
Watch via CBS News:
Also, it’s worth noting that China just enacted new measures to try to control its “white-hot housing market,” as the Associated Press puts it, adding that the country “announced taxes on housing profits that will weigh on overall housing prices.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image screen grab. This post has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 508 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 468 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 463 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 113 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 213 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 145 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- What vitally important issue is the NY state legislature debating?
- Feel-good story of the day: 3D printers aren’t just for guns
- Obama admin becomes ABC’s ‘Scandal’
- Was Gibson Guitar raid another example of political targeting by Obama DOJ?
- Code Pink protester pretended to be journalist so she could heckle Obama
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend