Which Prominent Atheist Is Getting a Starring Role on ‘The Simpsons’?
Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins is known for his atheistic views, as he regularly speaks out against religious constructs and takes aim at the theological systems that billions of the world’s citizens embrace. While he’s known for his academic and sociopolitical activity, the outspoken activist is preparing to make a foray into entertainment.
On Sunday, March 10, the outspoken scientist will be given an even larger platform when he appears on “The Simpsons.” On the surface, this may appear to be a joke, but it’s not. In fact, Dawkins will be playing himself in the cartoon’s next episode.
While few details have been released about the plot and how he’ll be depicted, his inclusion is a welcome development for atheist activists who continue to seek cultural relevancy. The Futon Critic, a web site that provides television news and information, has a limited amount of information about the episode.
The synopsis claims that Lisa, a character on the show, is “harassed by a bullying new teacher.” The educator will be voiced by actress and comedian Tina Fey, however there’s no word surrounding what Dawkins’ role in the episode will be. A synopsis reads:
Flanders becomes jealous when his laid-back parents start to prefer Homer’s company over his and he faces unbearable guilt after punching Homer in the eye, as he desperately tries to reconcile with him. Meanwhile, Lisa is distressed by her new substitute teacher (guest voice Tina Fey), who bullies her for no apparent reason in the “Black-Eyed, Please” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, March 10 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
Based on the description, the role could be relatively small, with only a few seconds on-screen. Then again, there’s really no telling how many lines the animated Dawkins will deliver, as the show’s producers may be purposefully keeping the details under wraps.
Text on the Futon Critic’s web site simply reads, “Tina Fey and Richard Dawkins Make Guest-Voice Appearance” and “Guest Voice Cast: Tina Fey as Ms. Cantwell and Richard Dawkins as himself.”
Dawkins confirmed his participation by tweeting a link to an announcement on his web site last night.
As The Friendly Atheist blog notes, Dawkins has already been featured (although he didn’t offer his voice up) on “South Park,” another edgy and popular cartoon. While he was being teased on the episode, his inclusion is noteworthy.
The clip is too graphic to share on TheBlaze, but its existence shows that Dawkins’ influence apparently extends beyond the atheist activist community — a movement he helps lead.
- Revealed: Holder Letter Leaves Open Possibility of Drone Strikes on U.S. Soil
- 10 Local News Captions That Will Have You Laughing
- Country Singer Trace Adkins Tangles with Piers Morgan: ‘I Would’ve Slapped the S**t Out of You’
- Singer Carly Rae Jepsen Cancels Boy Scouts’ Jamboree Performance Over Gay Policies
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 487 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 363 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 139 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 104 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- 26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Court cancels Ukraine's first gay pride rally
- WHO: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Between economy and trouble, Obama approval steady
- UN chief visits Goma, Congo
- UK attack suspects part of previous investigations
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter