Video Shows Cop Punching Woman in the Face Outside N.J. Nightclub
A cell phone video seemingly showing a New Jersey cop punching a woman in the face outside of a New Jersey nightclub has led to a police investigation. The shocking footage, which was uploaded to YouTube on March 3, shows an intense scuffle between the officer and a group of men and women.
The incident apparently unfolded outside of Club Envy in Elizabeth, N.J. It was captured on a bystander’s phone and subsequently uploaded to the video-sharing site. Since it went viral and was picked up by numerous media outlets, the video appears to have been taken down.
Local outlets, though, captured and aired it beforehand. WPIX-TV has a news report that shows portions of the original 20-second clip:
WNBC-TV reports that the officer is still on active duty, but that authorities are investigating to learn more about the circumstances at hand. Additional details have not been released.
Here’s the full video, with some slow-motion portions that seem to show the full force of the punch:
NJ.com has more about the scenario surrounding the controversial interaction:
In the clip, which has gained more than 11,000 views since it was posted on March 3, the officer is seen attempting to break up a fracas outside of Envy Night Club on North Broad Street. After walking away from a crowd of roughly 10 to 12 people, the officer grabs hold of a man in a black vest and shoves him to the ground. Once the man falls, a woman wearing a red dress appears to grab the officer’s arm, and he responds by punching her.
A man who identified himself as the club’s owner said he didn’t know if the participants in the brawl were at the club over the weekend.
Law enforcement experts caution that those enraged by what they see on the clip should wait for the full story to emerge and for the investigation to conclude before making definitive determinations.
Many times, videos don’t show the full picture during difficult moments and crisis situations, including threats an officer may be facing. While it’s possible the cop used excessive force, we’ll have to wait for more details to come to a decisive conclusion on the matter.
(H/T: Huffington Post)
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Country Singer Trace Adkins Tangles with Piers Morgan: ‘I Would’ve Slapped the S**t Out of You’
- Revealed: Holder Says President Could Authorize Military Drone Strikes Inside U.S.
- 10 Local News Captions That Will Have You Laughing
- Obama’s Alleged Anti-Gun Quote Resurfaces: ‘I Don’t Believe People Should Be Able to Own Guns’
- See the Stunningly Insensitive Scavenger Hunt List That Allegedly Came From a College Frat
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 564 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 487 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 344 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 248 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 239 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations