Have You Seen the Vintage 1989 Video Showing Ron Paul Defending Second Amendment…While Holding an AR-15?
Kentucky Senator Rand Paul might have made himself a celebrity overnight (and talked through most of that night), but for those Blaze readers who are hardcore libertarian activists and have been following the Paul family not just through Rand, but through the quixotic presidential ambitions of his father, Ron, this story will probably hold just as much interest, if not more.
This week, a vintage clip produced by Free to Choose Network, a libertarian nonprofit best known for producing the 1980 television series of the same name hosted by Nobel Prize winning economist Milton Friedman, emerged. It features the elder Paul while still in his spry years as a then-ex Congressman, talking up the benefits of the Second Amendment, while handling no less a weapon than the AR-15!
“This gun sure looks deadly,” Paul says in the video. “But it’s not the least bit deadly unless I point it at someone and pull the trigger. The words of Thomas Jefferson, he said that we are endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights, and among those rights is our right to defend ourselves, defend our family, and to defend our property.”
“Our rights are based on a philosophy called the libertarian philosophy,” Paul continues later on. “That means we have a right to own anything we like, including guns, as long as we harm no other person.”
Watch Paul’s long lost segment below:
(H/T: Fox News)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 524 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 464 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 452 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 333 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 267 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 147 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- 20 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- German opposition party marks bittersweet 150th
- Oil down to near $93 on Chinese recovery concerns
- UK official: Suspects part of previous probes
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot