Thousands of ‘Frenzied’ Sharks Keep Florida Spring Breakers Off Beaches
Smack dab in the middle of Florida’s spring break season, vacationers are being banned from some public beaches in southern portions of the state as thousands of migrating sharks pass through.
The Palm Beach Daily News reported that the beach closures might be sporadic over the next few weeks as the sharks make their journey north.
“We got here this morning and they were thick, really thick,” Craig Pollock, a lifeguard supervisor, said earlier this week to the Daily News. “They were frenzied and chasing bait all the way up to shore. They were practically right on the sand.”
Watch this raw, aerial footage of the shark swarm:
Pollock continued saying that beach closures will depend on where the sharks are that day and noted the most common varieties he’s seeing are blacktips and spinners.
The Daily News reported associate professor of biology at Florida Atlantic University Stephen Kajiura saying from aerial surveys he has observed more than 15,000 sharks less than 200 yards from the shore during this time of year before.
“That’s 1,000 sharks per square kilometer. If you were a swimmer, you would probably be within 60 feet of a shark,” Kajiura said to the Daily News.
ABC News reported that the annual migration usually occurs earlier in the season than it did this year, causing spring breakers to be impacted more than usual.
Although the sharks are not likely to bite a human, ABC affiliate WEWS wrote a few precautions should be taken for people who are going in the water — regardless of the known prevalence of sharks. These recommendations include ensuring a lifeguard is on duty, not wearing jewelry and avoiding silver, yellow and gold colors.
Check out the more up close pictures of the sharks taken by Jeff Langlois on the Palm Beach Daily News here.
(H/T: Daily Mail)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 462 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 459 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 108 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 200 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 136 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested