‘It’s Really Not That Easy To Talk That Long’: Sen. Rand Paul’s First Interview Since Ending Nearly 13-Hr. Filibuster
Sen. Rand Paul in his first interview since his nearly 13 hour filibuster ended Thursday morning told radio host Glenn Beck that he will not vote for CIA nominee John Brennan unless the White House offers clarification on its secretive drone program.
“I won’t vote for him on any of the votes if I don’t get information from the White House saying they’re going to adhere to the Constitution,” he said.
He reiterated that he’s not against the Obama administration and he’s not against drones. Rather, he simply wants to know what authority the White House believes it has in using drones on U.S. citizens.
“I try to make it less about President Obama and [more about] what if someday we elect someone who would abuse this power,” he said, adding they are legitimate tools of war. “I want to kill terrorists … and I think if you’re in a battlefield fighting us, you don’t get due process.”
“I’m concerned about people who are sitting and eating in a diner and you might think they’re associated with terrorism because they sent an email to someone,” he said, “but that really needs to be adjudicated in the courts.”
He also noted that drone strikes may not be the most efficient way of fighting America’s enemies: “Would get more information from interrogating than killing someone.”
Beck and crew then directed Sen. Paul’s attention to those who’ve criticized his efforts, namely, a Wall Street Journal editorial that argues that the idea of the White House using drone strikes on U.S. citizens is “ridiculous.”
“I agree it’s a ridiculous idea,” the Kentucky senator responded, “but then why then won’t the president say, ‘I won’t do this’?”
“It’s been like pulling teeth to get him to say that he’ll support the Constitution,” he added, referring to John Brennan.
And although there has been some criticism of Sen. Paul, there has also been an outpouring of support from some very unlikely corners (i.e. Van Jones and Code Pink).
“We may not all be on all the same page on drone strikes here, there, hither and yon” but many support not using drones against “people not engaged in combat in America,” he said.
And, of course, he mentioned the physical endurance the filibuster required.
“I thought about you about four hours in,” he told Beck. “I thought, ‘Gosh, Glenn Beck can sit for four or five hours each day!’ But it’s really not that easy to talk that long.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image photo screen grab. This post has been updated. A lot.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 578 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 514 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 308 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 264 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos