One of the Most Awkward Moments We Can Imagine Actually Happened Yesterday — and Here’s the Photo to Prove It
Following Senator Rand Paul’s impromptu 12-plus hour filibuster of the White House’s closely-guarded drone program, Republican Senator John McCain (and Sen. Lindsay Graham [S.C.]) spent Thursday morning rebuking the Kentucky senator.
“If Paul wants to be taken seriously he needs to do more than pull political stunts than fire up impressionable libertarian kids,” Sen. McCain said, quoting a recent Wall Street Journal editorial.
The Arizona senator added that Sen. Paul did a “disservice to a lot of Americans by making them believe that somehow they’re in danger from their government.”
“They’re not,” he asserted.
Obviously, these are strong words coming from an old-school GOP senator to a freshman like Paul. Imagine how awkward it’d be if the two suddenly came face-to-face right after the Arizona senator said all that.
Oh. Wait. They did:
The above was taken by New York Times photographer Stephen Crowley right after Sen. McCain said the following on the floor of the Senate Thursday morning:
Talk about uncomfortable.
And it doesn’t appear that Sen. McCain is going to back down from his criticism of Sen. Paul anytime soon. In fact, the rhetoric from his camp has become increasingly hostile.
“[Senator McCain] is doing what he thinks is right. Unlike many of these guys, he’s actually been involved in a few national security debates over the years. He knows that jumping on the Rand Paul black helicopters crazytrain isn’t good for our Party or our country, no matter what Twitter says [emphasis added],” one McCain aide told BuzzFeed.
“Senator McCain is obviously well aware of the politics of this,” the aide added, “he just doesn’t care.”
McCain himself escalated the war of words on Thursday by referring to Paul and his allies as “wacko birds,” claiming that they are unrepresentative of the GOP mainstream.
“It’s always the wacko birds on right and left that get the media megaphone,” Sen. McCain said in a Huffington Post article.
“I think it can be harmful if there is a belief among the American people that those people are reflective of the views of the majority of Republicans. They’re not,” he added.
For his part, Sen. Paul has responded by saying that Sen. McCain is simply “on the wrong side of history.”
“You know, I think he’s just on the wrong side of history, and on the wrong side of this argument, really,” the Kentucky senator said in an interview with former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee on Friday.
“I treat Sen. McCain with respect. I don’t think I always get the same in return,” he added.
But what’s your take on all of this?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy @Stcrow. This post has been updated.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 462 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 459 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 108 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 200 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 136 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested