NY Pastor Tackles Alleged Robber & Tells Him God Loves Him…Here’s What Happened Next
A Long Island pastor dealt with an alleged robber in an unusual way last week, praying out loud for the man he found breaking into his church.
Newsday reported Friday that Pastor Michael Jankowski of Lamb’s Chapel was startled when he walked into his office Thursday morning to find the place trashed– and a man clad in all black with a ski mask rummaging through his desk.
“We just scared the daylights out of each other and both screamed,” Jankowski recalled.
Though he is in the middle of a week long fast, the 6-foot-1, 250 pound pastor reportedly tackled the intruder, grabbing him by the collar while calling 911 with his cell phone.
“I’m not sure if the police are coming or not, so I just started to tell him we loved him and God loved him,” Jankowski said. “I said there was a different way to live. He didn’t have to live this way — that there was hope for him. And he was crying and shouting that he wanted to die. I prayed over him — loud. I had a captive audience.”
Jankowski said the alleged robber, now identified as 43-year-old Brian Cook, was clearly under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time. Cook kept saying how he needed to leave, and the pastor responded: “We care, but you’re not going.”
The tussle eventually went through a glass door and onto the sidewalk, News12 Long Island reported, the pastor all the while telling the robber that he doesn’t have to live this way and that God loves him.
Suffolk County police eventually arrived and arrested Cook. He was arraigned Friday on a burglary charge, and his bail was set at $5,000.
But Janowski still has hope for the alleged burglar.
“We knew that to break into a church, you’re pretty much hitting bottom…I feel that whatever time he serves he can get help and come out a different man, and it’s a home run for everybody.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 977 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 424 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 375 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 288 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 132 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 172 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids