Report: Americans Training Syrian Anti-Government Rebels
European media is reporting that Americans are joining with French and British forces in training anti-government Syrian rebels against President Bashar al-Assad, though it’s not clear whether they represent private firms or their respective governments.
The U.K. Guardian writes:
Western training of Syrian rebels is under way in Jordan in an effort to strengthen secular elements in the opposition as a bulwark against Islamic extremism, and to begin building security forces to maintain order in the event of Bashar al-Assad’s fall.
Jordanian security sources say the training effort is led by the US, but involves British and French instructors.
The UK Ministry of Defence denied any British soldiers were providing direct military training to the rebels, though a small number of personnel, including special forces teams, have been in the country training the Jordanian military.
But the Guardian has been told that UK intelligence teams are giving the rebels logistical and other advice in some form.
British officials have made it clear that they believe new EU rules have now given the UK the green light to start providing military training for rebel fighters with the aim of containing the spread of chaos and extremism in areas outside the Syrian regime’s control.
According to European and Jordanian sources the western training in Jordan has been going on since last year and is focused on senior Syrian army officers who defected.
“As is normal, before any major decision is taken on this issue, the preparations are made so that when that decision is taken, everything is in place for it to go smoothly. That is what these groups [special forces] do. They go in in advance,” a European diplomat said. [Emphasis added]
A Jordanian official explained for Der Spiegel, a German paper reporting on the same story: ”The Jordanian intelligence services want to prevent Salafists (radical Islamists) crossing from their own country into Syria and then returning later to stir up trouble in Jordan itself.”
Roughly 200 men have been trained over the past three months, the reports claim, and the plan is to work with some 1,200 members of the “Free Syrian Army.”
More than 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict that began as a pro-democracy movement but quickly became a civil war. Roughly 1 million refugees have fled the fighting, and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry recently promised $60 million in humanitarian aid on top of the $385 million already pledged by President Barack Obama.
Reuters reached out to the U.S. Defense Department for clarification, but it declined to comment on the report at this time. The French foreign ministry and Britain’s foreign and defense ministries also had no comment.
- Report: Syrian Rebels Behead Christian Man and Feed His Body to Dogs
- Video: Syrian Child With a Dagger Apparently Caught Singing, ‘Our Leader is Bin Laden, the Americans’ Worst Nightmare’
- President Obama Authorizes $155 Million in New Aid to Syria: Victims Will ‘Continue to Find a Partner in the United States of America’
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 441 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 397 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 339 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 316 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 267 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 166 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 100 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off Her New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 122 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Suspected rebels kill 17, wound 24 in east India
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Ore. teen accused of planning to attack school
- NYPD investigating actress Bynes allegations
- AP PHOTOS: Bayern beats Dortmund 2-1 in final
- Mo. highway buckles after rail cars hit overpass
- Tornado victims include animal lover, man in truck
- NTSB: Bridge collapse in Wash. is wake-up call