Morning Market Roundup: Sequester Week Two — How We Doing?
Well, we’re in week two of sequestration. Here’s what’s shaking:
Wall Street stock futures are signaling a declining Dow after six straight days of gains that pushed the index to a series of all-time highs.
Dow Jones industrial futures fell 18 points to 14,363. S&P 500 futures are down 3 points at 1,550. Nasdaq futures are down 6 points at 2,802.
Shares in Europe were weighed down by renewed worries about the region’s struggling economies.
With little on the economic calendar in Europe and the U.S. Monday, stocks may be sluggish, especially after last week’s historic run. Last week was capped with a government report showing the U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7.7 percent in February from 7.9 percent in January.
Benchmark oil for April delivery is down 32 cents to $91.63 a barrel at late afternoon Bangkok time in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
Recent gains by the dollar against the Japanese yen and the euro also put pressure on oil prices. A stronger dollar makes oil a less enticing investment for traders using those other currencies, since oil is traded in dollars.
Brent crude, used to price many kinds of oil imported by U.S. refineries, was down 76 cents to $110.09 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange in London.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
The AP contributed to this report. Featured image Getty Images.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 443 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lenovo says quarterly profit up 90 percent
- Japan stocks dive after benchmark bond yield spike
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 2 more arrested
- 2011 jail breaks become political issue in Egypt
- Asia shares slide, Nikkei down 7.3 percent, as Japan bond yields rise, China factories weaken
- Japan bond yields jump following Fed comments
- Submerged structure stumps Israeli archaeologists
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan