Don’t ‘Belittle’ My Statements!: Have Fun Watching This Uncomfortable Budget Standoff Between Fox Anchor & Dem. Rep.
Fox News’ Bill Hemmer during an interview with Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) on Tuesday got into a pretty intense back-and-forth while discussing the specifics of the House Republicans’ 2014 budget proposal.
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) claims the proposal isn’t simply about cutting spending. Rather, he explains, it focuses on lowering the rate of spending by approximately $5 trillion over the course of a decade. It would also create two tax brackets, thereby reducing the tax burden considerably for many Americans, and it would repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (i.e. “Obamacare”).
However, not too surprisingly, Democrats staunchly oppose Rep. Ryan’s latest proposal
During the “America’s Newsroom” interview, Hemmer went right for it and asked Rep. Van Hollen what’s wrong with Ryan’s proposed decreases in the rate of spending.
“The issue is how you achieve it, and making sure you achieve it in a way that doesn’t harm the very fragile recovery we’re having right now,” said the Maryland congressman, adding that Rep. Ryan’s approach is “lopsided and uncompromising.”
Rep. Van Hollen continued, promising that Democrats would present an alternative that would protect both the future of America’s children as well as commitments made to senior citizens.
Hemmer interjected, calling on Rep. Van Hollen to outline specific details of his party’s plan for the budget.
“It’s not talking point, it’s economics. [...] Don’t belittle statements by calling them so-called talking points. This affects people’s lives!” the congressman shot back.
Hemmer tried to move forward, citing quotes from Rep. Ryan, But Rep. Van Hollen continually cut him off.
From there, things became increasingly tense. Watch via the Washington Free Beacon:
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image screen grab.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 378 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 172 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 288 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' deaths
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Council members abstain from vote on abstaining
- Dissidents find 'Cuba outside Cuba' in Miami
- Big stores nix credit card settlement, file suit
- Distraught mom becomes face of Oklahoma storm
- IMF chief Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes