‘You’ve Got to Be Kidding Me’: Woman Reportedly Ticketed for Driving 2 Mph UNDER the Speed Limit
A Maryland woman is outraged after receiving a ticket for driving just two miles per hour under the speed limit on Interstate 95, NBC Washington/News4 reports.
The woman, who prefers to remain anonymous, was driving to work Friday morning amid inclement weather when she decided to take her speed down to 63 mph from the limit of 65 mph. StormTeam 4 Meteorologist Doug Kammerer confirmed that winds were gusting up to 40 mph.
“Sometimes when it’s dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe,” she explained.
But police apparently objected to the fact that she didn’t move into the right lane, slapping her with a ticket and a $90 fine.
“[I was] really shocked,” the Maryland woman remarked. “I thought, ‘Oh my God, you’ve got to be kidding me.’”
She plans to fight the ticket in court, and John Townsend of AAA Mid-Atlantic says the violation “[sends] the wrong message.”
“We will tolerate you driving at more than the speed limit,” he said, putting himself in the position of police, “but it you drive below the speed limit then you’re penalized for that.’”
News4 has more on the story:
But many are actually standing up for Maryland police, glad that they’re tackling one of the biggest driver grievances out there: slow drivers in the fast lane.
Jalopnik’s Travis Okulski writes:
There are a lot of little things that annoy me on the roads. One is a slow driver in the left lane on the highway. Seems like that annoys Maryland cops too, because they just ticketed a woman for doing 63 in the fast lane in a 65 zone. Good for them.
Of course, the AAA thinks the ticket is “silly” and “sends the wrong message.” It’s actually the opposite. The message it sends is 100 percent accurate. If you feel you need to slow down due to road conditions, feel free to do so. Just don’t do it in the left lane.
The driver is going to fight the ticket in court. I really hope it doesn’t get overturned. This sets a great precedent.
Kudos to you, Maryland State Police, for standing up for what we’ve all been saying for years.
What do you think? Is the traffic violation absurd, or are you on the side of the Maryland police in this case?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 420 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 366 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 207 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 104 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash