Is the ‘Common Core’ Initiative Dumbing Down America’s Students?
Last week TheBlaze covered in detail the controversial school curriculum system — one that had students actually design a socialist flag — out of Texas dubbed CSCOPE. Thursday, however, the focus turned to another disturbing initiative in America’s education system: Common Core Standards State Standards.
The Common Core State Standards initiative is, according to its official website, a state-led effort coordinated by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), developed “in collaboration with teachers, school administrators, and experts, to provide a clear and consistent framework to prepare our children for college and the workforce.”
The standards are said to be:
Aligned with college and work expectations;
Clear, understandable and consistent;
Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
Are informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society; and
In terms of Common Core, Glenn Beck noted that “if we don’t save education,” so goes the country. He added that parents will need to stand up and challenge their school districts and even change school districts to enact change.
With reportedly nearly every state in the union — adopting similar education programs, Common Core is influenced by successes in other countries and was never drafted with full scrutiny from the public. Beck added that states had a mere two months to commit to the plan during summer months in which state legislators were out of session.
Meanwhile, the federal government is, Beck noted, encouraging states to adopt Common Core. States that adopt common core can, according to Beck, receive waivers of the most demanding provisions in the No Child Left Behind Act.
To glean greater insight and find out more about the key leaders involved in the initiative, like Linda Darling-Hammond who served as an Obama advisor, are, Beck brought on special guests to discuss Common Core in depth.
On the panel was 31-year teaching veteran David Cox, who retired from his Utah school last year because of Common Core and is now teaching at a charter school. He is also a former legislator who helped to create standard levels for his district.
Christal Swasey, another former public school teacher who left the trade because of Common Core. She believes that the initiative is “dumbing down” children by giving “informational texts” instead of training students in the classic literature. She has also brought up the fact that Common Core poses a threat to student and family privacy.
Also on the panel was Emmett McGroarty, an attorney with American Principles Project, an organization that challenges privacy issues with Common Core and Shereena Arrington, a former professor with a background in constitutional law and grassroots activist against who believes that Common Core renders teachers and parents powerless to bureaucrats in Washington.
Collectively, the panel’s objective is to lead the fight against Common Core Standards as they have seen the program’s detrimental effects.
To learn more, watch below:
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 427 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 375 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 333 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 307 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 302 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 158 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 118 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 101 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Grizzlies coach defends flagrant foul but not flop
- Obama: Nation must do more for fallen heroes
- Kerry makes 1st official sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Both quick, long-term fixes in works for WA bridge
- Museum starts night tours of signs from Vegas past
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Obama's drone rules provide limits, ambiguity
- A controversial victory lap for Lewis at Cannes