Why Did the Cardinals Select an Argentinian Pope? These Stunning Graphics May Provide the Answer
The historic election of Pope Francis on Wednesday marked the first time that a pontifex has been selected from the Americas. The new Catholic leader, who hails from Argentina, brings into perspective the church’s stunning demographic evolution over the past century.
While the church has experienced a decline in European adherents, growth continues to abound in Africa and Latin America. National Geographic published a series of graphics and statistics that show just how stark these transitions have been, specifically between 1900 and 2010.
In 1900, clearly a reflection of its historical roots, nearly seven-in-10 Catholics (67 percent) across the globe resided in Europe. At the time, France, with 40 million followers, was the largest Catholic country. As National Geographic notes, 98 percent of its population were believers at the time. Additionally, nearly all of Spain’s and Italy’s adherents were Catholics.
See the graphic showing the church’s distribution in 1900:
By the time 1970 rolled around, changes were already evident. Europe was still the global leader in terms of believers – but Latin America was catching up. At the time, Europe had decreased to comprising only 38 percent of the world’s Catholics (Latin America had about the same proportion of believers within its boundaries).
And according to National Geographic, the faith was already catching hold in sub-Saharan Africa as well.
The 1970 version of the map shows this continued evolution:
But the changes didn’t end there. By 2010, the Catholic Church in Europe was anything but robust and healthy.
Latin America became the largest region embracing the religious construct, with 41 percent of global adherents residing within its boundaries (Europe accounted for just 24 percent – down from 67 percent in 1900). Africa, too, continued to grow in its Catholic numbers.
And, finally, here’s the 2010 map:
It will be fascinating to see how Pope Francis contends with these changes – and whether he is successful in evangelizing Europe back into the Catholic faith.
(H/T: National Geographic)
Other Must-Read Stories:
- So Who Exactly Is the New Pope Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina (Pope Francis)?
- Prominent University Boots Chick-fil-A Off Campus — Is It Because of the Company’s Stance on Gays?
- AP Fact-Checks Obama, Biden and Bloomberg on Key Gun Claim: ‘Grasping at Tatters of Moldy Data’
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 975 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 424 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 372 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 287 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 131 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 171 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Protesters chant 'Stop the IRS' in Cincinnati
- More attacks across Iraq kill 13 people
- Police release photos from Tucson shooting rampage
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Warsaw ghetto insurgent Boruch Spiegel dies at 93
- Face-chewing victim recovering, strumming guitar
- Syria opposition signals tough line on peace talks
- Algerian president leaves Paris military hospital