WASHINGTON (TheBlaze/AP) — In light of North Korea’s recent threats to send a missile toward the United States, the Obama administration announced it would add more interceptors to the West Coast-based missile defense system.
The move reflects concern about North Korea’s focus on developing nuclear weapons and its advances in long-range missile technology, even though tests that could lead to such a missile last year proved unsuccessful.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel planned to announce the decision later Friday. It was first reported by Fox News.
— George Little (@PentagonPresSec) March 15, 2013
In advance of Hagel’s announcement, defense officials confirmed the decision on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.
The Pentagon intends to add the 14 interceptors to 30 already in place in California and Alaska. That will expand the system’s ability to shoot down long-range missiles in flight before they could reach U.S. territory.
James Miller, defense undersecretary for policy, said in a speech Tuesday that the Pentagon has the ability to deploy up to 14 additional missile interceptors, “if needed.” He did not say in the speech that a decision had been made to do so.
“As we think about our homeland missile-defense posture, we do not have a ‘just-in-time’ policy,'” Miller said. “Our policy is to stay ahead of the threat – and to continue to ensure that we are ahead of any potential future Iranian or North Korean ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) capability.”
Miller noted that last December, North Korea launched a satellite into space, demonstrating its mastery of some of the same technologies required for development of an intercontinental ballistic missile.
“Our concern about Pyongyang’s potential ICBM capability is compounded by the regime’s focus on developing nuclear weapons. North Korea’s third nuclear test last month is obviously a serious concern for all nations,” he said.
North Korea recently threatened to reduce Seoul to a “sea of fire” and stage pre-emptive nuclear attacks on Washington.
“North Korea’s shrill public pronouncements underscore the need for the U.S. to continue to take prudent steps to defeat any future North Korean ICBM,” Miller said in his speech on Tuesday.
Watch this report about the addition of the missile interceptors:
This news also comes at the same time as reports from South Korean news agencies say North Korea test fired two short-range missiles into the Sea of Japan Friday. More on that story in this report: