Newt Gingrich Says ‘Dominant Wing’ of GOP Is ‘Mired In Stupidity’
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Saturday that “the whole of Washington is trapped in the past” and jabbed at senior members of the Republican Party, saying they’re “mired in stupidity.”
Speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference in National Harbor, Md., Gingrich called for conservatives to introduce “new ideas” in the GOP.
“The Republican establishment is just plain wrong,” Gingrich said. “The Republican consulting class is just plain wrong in approaching politics.”
Gingrich echoed Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) who on Thursday said, “We don’t need a new idea. The idea’s America, and it still works.”
“You’re going to hear a false attack that we don’t need new ideas,” Gingrich said. “Let me draw a distinction. We don’t need new principles … but we do need new ideas to implement [those principles].”
Gingrich’s speech was largely a critique of establishment Republicans and their “anti-ideas approach” to governing. He recommended “all conservatives” read “Citizenville,” a book by California Democratic Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom about technology and government.
He complimented Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush as the future of the GOP and said the current “dominant wing” of the party is “mired in the past and mired in stupidity.”
Gingrich, a convert to Catholicism, also said he’s “excited” about the newly-elected Pope Francis.
“He’s going to challenge the left on social policy and he’s going to challenge the right on thinking about the poor,” he said.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 526 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 488 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 468 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 326 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 124 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 124 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Delta ups the ante in battle for NY travel market
- Man charged with stalking Jennifer Lawrence's kin
- A-Rod sells Miami Beach home for $30M
- Snooki: NJ Gov Christie 'just doesn't like us'