Ultra-Folksy Sarah Palin Brings CPAC Audience to Its Feet
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin delivered a barn-burning, hyper-folksy speech to conservative activists Saturday, bringing the entire audience to its feet multiple times.
Palin’s speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference started in an unconventional way: After she was first introduced, the crowd was shocked to see Texas Sen. Ted Cruz walk out onstage. Cruz said he was there to introduce Palin himself ahead of his keynote speech later in the afternoon.
“The mainstream media wants us to be timid and hide in a corner. And the mainstream media is absolutely convinced that women cannot be conservatives, and if they are, they especially cannot shoot really big guns and hunt grizzly bears,” Cruz said. “That’s why Governor Sarah Palin drives the mainstream media batcrap crazy.”
Cruz directly attributed his success to Palin, a key backer of his, saying: “I would not be in the U.S. Senate today if it were not for Sarah Palin.”
When Palin herself entered, the entire crowd surged for the first of many times. Palin waved energetically as she was welcomed, then immediately thanked Cruz.
“The senator is the keynote speaker and he would lower himself to do an introduction for a hockey mom from Wasilla,” Palin said in faux-wonder. “Ted Cruz, he chews barbed wire, he spits out rust. That’s what we need.”
But Palin herself seemed to be in a chewing out mood, as well. She started off with the president’s recent attempts to restrict gun owner rights.
“That chunk of metal did the crime? That’s like saying, ‘that fork made me fat,’” Palin joked about the idea that guns are responsible for violence. “Background checks? Dandy idea, Mr. President. Should’ve started with yours.”
Palin wasn’t close to finished. She moved on to attack the calls for “rebranding” of the Republican Party.
“Let’s be clear about one thing: We’re not here to rebrand the party. We’re here to rebuild a country,” Palin said. “We’re not here to dedicate ourselves to new talking points coming from DC. We’re not here to put a fresh coat of rhetorical point on our party…We’re here to restore America, and the rest is just theatrics. The rest is sound and fury. It’s just noise. And that sums up the job President Obama does today.”
At one point, Palin reached under the podium and pulled out a Big Gulp and began drinking from it onstage. The action itself bringing large sections of the crowd to its feet.
But the bulk of Palin’s speech was devoted to blasting the Washington and GOP establishment, including a not-so-veiled jab at Republican “architect” strategist Karl Rove.
“If you don’t have a team of lobbyists in D.C. or a canceled contribution check, well, you’re not at the table. You’re on the menu,” she said. “The last thing we need is Washington, D.C. vetting our candidates…If we had one message to send to Washington, it would be this: Get over yourself. It’s not about you.”
But when Palin left the stage, for those few moments, it was all about her, leaving the audience roaring on its feet for several minutes straight.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 443 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 398 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 343 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 316 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 271 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 167 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 101 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 126 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Search for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight ongoing
- QB Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- Umpire expresses regret on botched call
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- Ore. teen accused of planning to attack school
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued