CNN Features Ben Carson Interview…But Why Did They Avoid Talking Politics?
Since Dr. Ben Carson’s CPAC speech, the mild-mannered neurosurgeon has attracted a sizable amount of buzz, especially given his allusion to a potential 2016 presidential run in that very speech.
And now, the buzz appears to have spread to the mainstream media, because the speech gained Carson an invite to CNN’s “State of the Union” with Candy Crowley, to participate in the shows “Getting to Know” segment, devoted to up-and-coming political figures.
However, for an interview with a political figure, there was just one rather odd omission: Throughout the interview, Crowley did not ask Carson his opinion on one single political issue. Rather, the interview centered on Carson’s upbringing, how he learned to control his temper, his decision to work as a doctor and his preferred sports team — in short, everything but his politics.
Now, granted, the “Getting to Know” segment on “State of the Union” doesn’t often include explicitly political questions, but rather focuses on looking at particular figures’ backgrounds. However, watching the CNN interview, one would never get any idea that Carson had political opinions, or was involved in politics at all. In other words, Crowley not only didn’t ask Carson his opinions, but didn’t even ask what had compelled him to form opinions and act on them in the first place. Even a softball question like, “You’re a surgeon, not a politician, so what made you start paying attention to politics” was never asked.
This is even odder when you factor in that Crowley explicitly mentioned Carson’s political future at one point during the interview — specifically, when Carson declined to name a favorite sports team, and Crowley chided him for not taking sides. An audience member unfamiliar with Carson’s background calling out President Obama could’ve been forgiven for having to frantically Google him at that point to find out why Crowley was referring to him as a politician.
Was CNN simply trying to avoid any hint of controversy? Or was this due to the constraints of the segment? Who knows, but if Carson is serious about presidential ambitions, it’ll probably be the last time any media figure willingly lets him avoid the subject of politics.
- 2016 Hint? Ben Carson: ‘Say You Magically Put Me Into the White House…’
- Ben Carson: White House Repeatedly Asked for an Advance Copy of My Speech
- Dr. Ben Carson Responds to Questions About Potential Political Future: ‘I’ll Leave That Up to God’
- Dr. Carson Tells TheBlaze How Obama Reacted to His Bold Prayer Breakfast Speech: ‘I Figured He Would Just Be Fuming’
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 443 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 252 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lenovo says quarterly profit up 90 percent
- Japan stocks dive after benchmark bond yield spike
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 2 more arrested
- 2011 jail breaks become political issue in Egypt
- Asia shares slide, Nikkei down 7.3 percent, as Japan bond yields rise, China factories weaken
- Japan bond yields jump following Fed comments
- Submerged structure stumps Israeli archaeologists
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan