Video: Catholic Grandmother Assaulted While Praying Outside Planned Parenthood
A 63-year-old Catholic grandmother says she was attacked and knocked to the ground while filming outside a Planned Parenthood clinic in Wilmington, Del. last week.
Rae Stabosz told TheBlaze she’s part of a regular group that prays outside the clinic. On Wednesday afternoon, when she and another woman were getting ready to leave for the day, an ambulance pulled up to the front of the building. Stabosz took out her iPhone and began to film, at which point she said a woman came out of the Planned Parenthood and demanded she stop taping.
“She came out of Planned Parenthood and she was very angry,” Stabosz said. “[She said] ‘I’m going to mess you up so f–king bad.”
In video of the incident, first posted by anti-abortion organization Operation Rescue, Stabosz narrates that they are calling 911 because they were threatened.
Stabosz told TheBlaze it was about 10 minutes later when the woman returned and assaulted her on the sidewalk as the paramedics prepared to roll out with a patient on a stretcher.
In the video, the woman walks out of the Planned Parenthood just ahead of the paramedics and heads directly toward Staboszs while on the phone. The audio is difficult to hear, but the woman appears to say, “I’ll call you in an hour when I’m in jail.”
“I believe this person may be trying to — ” Staboszs says before she’s abruptly cut off as the woman slaps the running iPhone out of her hand. The phone clatters to the ground and the woman appears to stomp on it. There are sounds of a scuffle and Staboszs yells. The woman is heard saying, “Get the f–k away.”
“She barreled into me, grabbed my phone and threw it down on the ground and started to stomp on it. I thought if she gets one clear shot at this she’s going to crush my phone and destroy it,” Staboszs said. “She picked the phone up, put it in her pocket and [went inside and] gave it to the Planned Parenthood person.”
Stabosz said she got up and went into the clinic — something anti-abortion protesters are usually prohibited from doing — and demanded her phone back from the receptionist. The receptionist handed it over, at which point Staboszs went back outside and called 911 to report the assault.
Stabosz said her assailant fled in her car before police arrived, but that the other woman she was with managed to get the license plate number.
Police arrived and took a statement. Stabosz said she initially declined medical treatment but began feeling pain in her head and down her leg and was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital. She said she suffered contusions but no broken bones from when her attacker pushed and knocked her backward.
Stabosz said she received a call from police Friday that they have not yet located her attacker but are continuing to investigate.
Planned Parenthood’s Wilmington Center was closed Sunday and could not be reached for comment.
Stabosz, a grandmother of 12, said she’s been peacefully praying outside the clinic location for the last three years. She said after she was attacked, three Planned Parenthood employees went outside and saw her sitting on the pavement but did nothing to help her.
“We’re not professionals, we’re just people and we’re trying to help people out and help save babies,” Staboszs told TheBlaze.
This post has been updated.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 501 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 461 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 458 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 101 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 190 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 129 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Venezuela to create new workers militia
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- 6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Ruby says her sworn statements were lies
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Roger Federer, always at Grand Slam tournaments
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul