Formerly Bi-Sexual Singer Stuns Audience With Alleged Anti-Gay Rant: ‘God Hates Fa***ts’
Singer-songwriter Michelle Shocked very literally shocked (pun intended) her audience on Sunday after she launched into what critics are calling an anti-gay tirade. The performer, a born-again Christian who was previously labeled bi-sexual, apparently made some intensely-contentious comments.
According to USA Today, she reportedly told the crowd at Yoshi’s SF, “You can go on Twitter and say, ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates [anti-gay slur].’” Another report in the San Francisco Chronicle claims she said, ”God hates fags and you can tweet that I said so.”
But Inquisitr claims Shocked might have gone much further.
“When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilisation, and Jesus will come back,” she allegedly said. “You are going to leave here and tell people, ‘Michelle Shocked said God hates fa**ots.’”
This account is somewhat different from the USA Today and San Francisco Chronicle renditions of her commentary.
If the latter transcription is accurate, she was predicting how people might react, rather than telling individuals to take to social media to let the world know how she feels about gays. Either way, her alleged words are certainly offensive to many, especially considering her use of a word that is generally considered off-limits.
Here’s how some Twitter users reacted:
Regardless of what was said, the crowd apparently reacted quickly, with some instantly walking out of the venue. The venue’s owner apparently tried to end the show as well, but Inquisitr claims that Shocked continued to perform. In the end, staff cut the lights and allegedly shut her down.
As a result of the incident, another venue that was planning to host the singer for a May 5 performance has cancelled her show. SPACE Club in Evanston, Ill., took to its Facebook page on Monday to make the following announcement:
Many of you have reached out already following an ugly rant given by Michelle Shocked at her show in San Francisco last night. After speaking with the promoter of that show about the nature of the remarks, it’s clear that this is no longer a show we’re willing to put our name on. The May 5th performance at SPACE has been cancelled and refunds will be issued at point of purchase.
And LBGTQ Nation claims that others have followed this lead, with nearly every other venue joining in on canceling the singer:
Update: As of Tuesday morning, nine of the 11 venues remaining on Shocked’s U.S. tour have cancelled her upcoming performances:
HopMonk’s Tavern in Novato, Calif., SPACE in Evanston, Ill., eTown in Boulder, Colo., the Alberta Rose Theatre in Portland, Ore., Meander’s Kitchen in Seattle, Cozmic in Eugene, Ore., the Palms Playhouse in Winter, Calif., Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz, Calif., and McCabe’s in Santa Monica, Calif., have all announced or tweeted cancellations.
A Change.org petition is calling on the two remaining venues to follow suit.
So far, no video or audio has been released, so it’s difficult to discern what, exactly, was said. Regardless, Shocked’s alleged rant is making viral rounds.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- ‘Bullied’ By Atheists? Former SNL Star Takes Heat for Saying He Believes in God, Scriptures
- Which Famed Christian Pastor Just Issued This Shocking Gay Marriage Endorsement?
- Free Speech Crackdown? Philly Mayor Calls for ‘Chilling’ Gov’t Probe of Magazine Over Race Relations Article
- 5 Secrets About Scientology Alleged in Tell-All Book by Church Leader’s Niece
- Hillary Clinton Endorses Gay Marriage: ‘Personally and as a Matter of Policy and Law’
- Sympathizing With Rapists? See What CNN Said About the Steubenville Rapists That Has It Taking Major Heat
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 551 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 326 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 207 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 220 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school