Obama Reveals Plan to Get U.S. Cars Off Oil…Using Tax-Payer Subsidized Firm That Has Yet To Produce a Battery
President Obama last week at the Department Of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory at the University of Chicago outlined his $2 billion plan to get U.S. vehicles off of oil.
Argonne, you may recall, has been awarded more than $200 million by the U.S. government since 2009.
But here’s something interesting: Argonne National Laboratory actually partnered with LG Chem Michigan Inc. in 2011 to design electric vehicle batteries, the Washington Free Beacon notes.
Remember LG Chem Michigan?
That’s the tax-payer subsidized battery maker that has not produced or sold a single battery since being awarded a $150 million federal grant in 2009, according to a recent report from the Energy Department’s Inspector General.
“LG Chem was supposed to use Argonne’s design to produce the Volt batteries in its Holland plant once construction was finished,” the Washington Examiners’ Michal Conger notes. “But according to a recent Inspector General report, the company’s employees have been too busy playing video games to produce any batteries, despite spending $142 million”.
In fact, as noted elsewhere on TheBlaze, LG Chem Michigan employees were dying for work and would go out to volunteer around Holland, Mich., in order to have something to do.
“Through interviews with LG Chem Michigan management and other staff, we confirmed that employees spent time volunteering at local non-profit organizations, playing games and watching movies during regular working hours,” the IG report said.
“Even though the facility had produced a large number of test cells, the plant had yet to manufacture battery cells that could be used in electric vehicles sold to the public,” the report added.
So, yes, the president’s $2 billion plan to get U.S. vehicles off oil was delivered at a tax-payer subsidized “green” energy firm that in 2011 designed batteries for another tax-payer subsidized “green” energy firm that has yet to produce a single electric car battery.
- Fed Audit Reveals Tax-Payer Backed Battery Factory Hasn’t Produced or Sold a Single Battery Since Awarded Fed Grant in 2009
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image whitehouse.gov.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 272 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 225 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 182 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- How the French economy compares to Germany's, UK's
- Does France have right plan to revive its economy?
- Myanmar Muslims jailed for killing Buddhist monk
- Syrian army says it has destroyed an Israeli vehicle that crossed Golan Heights ceasefire line
- China's Li seeks stronger economic ties with India
- Crews dig through night after deadly Okla. twister
- British inflation eases by more than expected
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school