Obama’s Limo Breaks Down in Tel Aviv After Reported Gas SNAFU: See the Pictures!
Despite all its high-tech gadgetry, communications onboard, and defensive armored plating, the White House limo, known as “The Beast” failed to start this morning shortly before President Barack Obama landed in Tel Aviv.
Editor’s note — We’ll be discussing this story and all the day’s news during our live BlazeCast from 1pm-2pm ET…including your questions, comments & live chat:
With such a heavy payload – a full eight tons – it’s no wonder its fuel efficiency is only eight miles a gallon. But that point was made moot when the driver apparently filled it with the wrong fuel.
Israel’s Channel Two reported, “The Americans filled it up with diesel, rather than petrol,” suggesting a diplomatic incident was averted because it was the Americans’ fault, not Israel’s.
But Haaretz Correspondent Chemi Shalev reported it was actually the other way around, that the White House driver filled ‘er up with gasoline instead of diesel.
The Israeli site 2424.co.il has more pictures:
TheBlaze’s Liz Klimas wrote in January about some of the impressive specifications of “The Beast” including:
…a gas tank that won’t explode even upon a direct hit; it has night vision gear; and is so controlled an environment it can keep out a biochemical attack. There are even bottles containing blood matching that of the president’s type in the trunk.
In this graphic from The Daily Mail, it appears the vehicle indeed runs on diesel.
Israeli and Jordanian officials coordinated the swift transfer of a replacement limousine that was already in place at a storage facility in Jordan for Obama’s visit there, according to the Times of Israel.
That replacement was loaded onto a transport plane and flown to Israel.
The New York Times’ Mark Landler who filed the White House travel pool report wrote:
One of the presidential limousines had mechanical trouble and had to be replaced before President Obama’s arrival in Tel Aviv, according to the Secret Service.
“We experienced mechanical trouble with one of the cars,” said Edwin Donovan, a spokesman for the Secret Service. “We don’t know the cause.”
There have been media reports that the vehicle had been filled with diesel fuel rather than gasoline.
Donovan said the Secret Service “did not have a read on what the specific issue is at this point.”
POTUS was driven in a different vehicle, he said. “That’s why we bring different multiple vehicles,” Mr. Donovan said.
Landler added that the White House will release a statement later.
One Twitter user quipped: The sequester caused Israel to stop selling diesel fuel. (New White House job posting: Limousine driver / $175K per year).
Jokes aside, how much will this morning’s major logistical production cost? Wasted: flying in the original limo from DC, flying the replacement limo in from Jordan, and shortly flying out the broken down vehicle. Whatever the price, you can be sure it’s all courtesy of the U.S. taxpayer.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93