Rabbi Creates Special Prayer to Be Recited by Those Who See ‘King in Our Time’ Obama
One of the leading rabbis in Israel says it’s a “mitzvah,” a good deed or a religious duty, to personally see President Barack Obama during his visit to Israel this week and even created a prayer to be recited by those who in his opinion are so fortunate. Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, the former Sephardic chief rabbi of Israel and an influential spiritual leader is likening Obama to a “king in our time.”
Maariv reports (Blaze translation):
Rabbi Ovadia Yosef told his students that there is a great interest in seeing a king during this time and that Obama is a kind of king in our time. The rabbi added that it’s a mitzvah to try to see President Obama in person.
Rabbi Ovadia Yosef was asked by his students how to behave in relation to the visit by the American president, and if and how to [recite a] blessing upon seeing him. In Ovadia’s opinion, anyone who is fortunate enough to see the president must [recite the blessing thanking God] “Gives dignity to flesh and blood.”
The rabbi explained that President Obama today is thought of as a king: “He can declare war on an enemy state and he has the authority to pardon those sentenced to death.”
Ovadia Yosef wanted to make clear to his followers that only those who see Obama in the flesh should recite the prayer, not after seeing him on television.
Even though First Lady Michelle Obama stayed home, Yosef said the same prayer would apply to those seeing her in person as well.
Rabbi Ovadia Yosef provoked criticism in 2010 when he said that God should strike Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and other “haters of Israel” with a plague. “Abu Mazen [Abbas’ nickname] and all these evil people should perish from this earth,” he said at the time.
As TheBlaze reported in 2011, Yosef also gave his approval for the early release from prison of a Palestinian terrorist who had planned to assassinate him.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 462 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 459 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 109 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 201 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 137 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested