‘Absolutely in Jest’: Mass. Sheriff Defends Obama Assassination Joke
A Massachusetts county sheriff is standing by a joke he made that President Barack Obama should “go to the theater” a la Abraham Lincoln.
Plymouth County Sheriff Joseph McDonald Jr., a Republican, made the crack at a St. Patrick’s Day breakfast on Sunday. He said Lincoln visited Obama and gave him advice on how to fix the country: “Go to the theater,” Lincoln told Obama. Lincoln, of course, was assassinated in the theater in 1865.
“It was absolutely in jest,” McDonald told the Patriot Ledger this week. “It was a joke. It wasn’t a new joke by any means.”
WBZ-TV reported McDonald’s remark generated outraged comments on the sheriff’s Facebook page. As of Thursday afternoon, the Plymouth County Sheriff’s Department Facebook page appeared to have been deleted.
John Birtwell, director of public information for the sheriff’s department, did not immediately return requests for comment from TheBlaze about the page’s disappearance.
McDonald told WCVB-TV on Wednesday that he and his family have received more than 100 threatening emails and voice messages because of the joke.
“Things have taken a very sinister turn,” he told the station. “I’ve received all kinds of hate emails, phone messages and voice mails, many of them physically threatening me, my family.”
McDonald has said repeatedly the joke was “political satire,” pointing out that similar jokes were made about then-President George W. Bush going hunting with Vice President Dick Cheney.
“It’s political satire. It was meant in jest,” McDonald told WCVB. “It was stated in jest, and it’s unfortunate individuals would seek to capitalize on that.”
John Walsh, chairman of the Massachusetts Democratic Party, told the station that McDonald made “an old, stupid, inappropriate joke” but that he should have known better.
“You know when you’re the chief law enforcement officer of Plymouth County and you have a whole bunch of people who work for you and run around with guns [you] should be a little more sensitive about it,” Walsh said.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 474 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 380 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 309 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 188 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 107 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 107 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Deliberations resume in Arias trial penalty phase
- 12-year-old Mass. boy wins National Geographic Bee
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Israeli air force chief warns of Syrian attacks
- Oklahoma City mayor says 12,000 to 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed by tornado