A toddler in an Australian grocery store suddenly stopped breathing over the weekend. Fortunately, the story has a happy ending thanks to a quick-thinking, prepared stranger.
A 2-year-old girl in a Perth IGA became unconscious and stopped breathing Sunday. The store’s a CCTV camera shows the girl’s mother, Amy Collard, coming toward a cashier line from the aisle carrying her daughter’s limp body.
Footage shows people panicking trying to call for help and deciding what to do. At first they think the girl is choking, but this wasn’t the case.
The man in the red shirt seen running distraught in the footage is the girl’s father, Michael Narkle.
Within just a few moments, the video shows the hero of the story, Rowan O’Neill who is identified as a “tradie” (which appears to be slang in Australia for tradesman, or construction worker), steps in to perform mouth-to-mouth on the girl named Shaylar. It takes 90 seconds but the girl is resuscitated.
She wasn’t out of the woods yet. According to reports, she had a fever and she is later seen being fanned by customers trying to keep her cool while they wait for emergency responders. It is this fever that is thought to have caused her to become unconscious in the first place. A Current Affair reported Shaylar spent the night in the hospital and was released the next day.
Watch A Current Affair’s report with footage of the harrowing incident: