Dem Rep. Makes WILDLY Inaccurate Claim About Number of Children Killed With So-Called ‘Assault Weapons’
Attempting to show how huge of a mistake it was to drop the ban on so-called “assault weapons” from the Senate’s gun control bill, Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) on MSNBC Thursday claimed “millions of kids” are dying at the hands of these weapons and Congress is failing to act.
Rangel blamed the National Rifle Association, politics and money for the gun ban’s failure.
“I’m ashamed to admit it but its politics and its money, The NRA has taken this position, there is no reason, there is no foundation. There is no hunter that needs automatic military weapons to enjoy the culture of going hunting,” Rangel began. “But you know it’s really basically the absence of the voices of good people. I cannot believe that politicians are afraid of the NRA.”
He went on: “We’re talking about millions of kids dying — being shot down by assault weapons, were talking about handguns easier in the inner cities, to get these guns in the inner cities, than to get computers. This is not just a political issue, it’s a moral issue and so when we condemn the NRA we should not ignore the fact that a lot of people that have taken moral positions have been solid on this big one.”
Watch his comments via MSNBC below:
Rangel’s assertion is so ridiculously false, it’s hard to really put it into perspective. But let’s try.
According to FBI data, just 358 people — of all ages — were killed with “rifles” in 2010. In fact, more people were killed by hands and feet (745), knifes (1,704) and shotguns (373) than with rifles that same year. As Fox Nation points out, the total number of gun homicides in 2011 was 8,583, still exponentially lower than Rangel’s estimation of murders involving so-called “assault weapons” alone.
Using the 2011 total gun-related murder rate, it would take more than 116 years for one million people to be killed by a firearm. Additionally, it would take more than 2,793 years for one million people to be killed with rifles, or what Rangel calls “assault weapons,” according to the 2010 FBI data.
Now, that does not lessen the impact of such a horrific tragedy like the Newtown massacre, however, the United States will never be able to have a meaningful debate about guns as long as such blatant lies are being used to demonize firearms.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 431 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 406 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 353 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 121 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Safe room mandates remain rare in tornado states
- 10 Things to Know for Today, 1st Ld-Writethru
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Procter & Gamble brings back A.G. Lafley as CEO
- Kerry's focus on peace talks, not settlements
- Kerry blasts Iranian election maneuvering
- World stocks stabilize after big sell-off