Dem Rep. Makes WILDLY Inaccurate Claim About Number of Children Killed With So-Called ‘Assault Weapons’
Attempting to show how huge of a mistake it was to drop the ban on so-called “assault weapons” from the Senate’s gun control bill, Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) on MSNBC Thursday claimed “millions of kids” are dying at the hands of these weapons and Congress is failing to act.
Rangel blamed the National Rifle Association, politics and money for the gun ban’s failure.
“I’m ashamed to admit it but its politics and its money, The NRA has taken this position, there is no reason, there is no foundation. There is no hunter that needs automatic military weapons to enjoy the culture of going hunting,” Rangel began. “But you know it’s really basically the absence of the voices of good people. I cannot believe that politicians are afraid of the NRA.”
He went on: “We’re talking about millions of kids dying — being shot down by assault weapons, were talking about handguns easier in the inner cities, to get these guns in the inner cities, than to get computers. This is not just a political issue, it’s a moral issue and so when we condemn the NRA we should not ignore the fact that a lot of people that have taken moral positions have been solid on this big one.”
Watch his comments via MSNBC below:
Rangel’s assertion is so ridiculously false, it’s hard to really put it into perspective. But let’s try.
According to FBI data, just 358 people — of all ages — were killed with “rifles” in 2010. In fact, more people were killed by hands and feet (745), knifes (1,704) and shotguns (373) than with rifles that same year. As Fox Nation points out, the total number of gun homicides in 2011 was 8,583, still exponentially lower than Rangel’s estimation of murders involving so-called “assault weapons” alone.
Using the 2011 total gun-related murder rate, it would take more than 116 years for one million people to be killed by a firearm. Additionally, it would take more than 2,793 years for one million people to be killed with rifles, or what Rangel calls “assault weapons,” according to the 2010 FBI data.
Now, that does not lessen the impact of such a horrific tragedy like the Newtown massacre, however, the United States will never be able to have a meaningful debate about guns as long as such blatant lies are being used to demonize firearms.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 829 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 263 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 160 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 176 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Slow pokes: Acupuncture helps hypothermic turtles
- Killing of gay man in NYC draws protesters
- Easier travel ahead for Conn. commuters
- Muslim gets life in prison, 6 get lesser terms for killing of Buddhist monk in Myanmar strife
- Marquis wins 5th straight, Padres beat Cards 4-2
- 51 killed in Okla. tornado; toll expected to rise
- Giants RHP Vogelsong breaks hand, out 4-6 weeks
- Oil price rises to near $97 per barrel