Hidden Loaded Gun Discovered by Student in Classroom Ceiling (and Former Teacher Is Arrested for It)
Christopher Johnson, a criminal justice teacher at Kokomo Area Career Center in Kokomo, Ind., resigned in May 2012 from the position he had held for five years. The district said that, despite his decision to leave, there were no issues — that is, until a student in Johnson’s former classroom found a loaded gun hidden in the ceiling nearly 10 months after the teacher’s departure.
On March 8, the weapon was discovered after a pupil noticed it stored in the ceiling. After learning about the finding, Johnson inevitably turned himself into the Howard County Criminal Justice Center, WXIN-TV reports.
The school’s communications manager, David Barnes, explained what happened following the bizarre incident.
“One of the students was holding up a tape measure and bumped the ceiling (and) saw there was something there,” Barnes said, calling the guns presence a “pure act of irresponsibility.”
WXIN-TV reports that Johnson’s account of how the gun made its way into the classroom ceiling is somewhat scattered. The teacher told officers that he assumed his ex-wife had the gun and that he had not seen it in years; if he had brought it to the school, he said it was unintentional.
“Mr. Johnson said he did not remember putting the gun in the ceiling,” the court document reads.
He apparently added that it would have been logical for him to store the gun in the ceiling in an effort to keep it away from students (if he brought it in the first place).
In an interview with the outlet, the former teacher stressed the importance of due process and declined to give additional information.
“The only thing I’ll say is we have a system that says that we’re innocent until proven guilty,” he told WXIN-TV. “I believe in that system and all I would ask is that the media and the public believe in that system too.”
For now, Johnson will be forced to rely on the legal system to learn his fate, as he’s been charged with possessing a firearm on school property (a felony) and criminal recklessness (a misdemeanor).
Other Must Read Stories:
- Principal Ditches ‘Honors Night’ for More Inclusive Student Assembly to Avoid ‘Devastating’ Average Kids
- This Mystic Claims She’s Seen Heaven and Hell and She Describes Both to TheBlaze (Hint: Satan Throws Lava)
- Can You Make Out Jesus’ Face in This Drop-Cloth?
- Gay Rights Activist Buys House Across From Westboro Baptist Church, Paints It to Look Like a Giant Rainbow
- Sheriff Debunks AR-15 Fallacies in New ‘Weapons of War’ Video Fact-Check
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 576 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 491 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 294 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 259 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 146 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review