The Predictable Outcome of Ted Cruz’s Attempt to Repeal ‘Obamacare’: Here’s How It Went Down
The Senate on Friday voted 54-45 to throw out the latest Republican effort to repeal President Obama’s health care law.
This is the GOP’s 36th attempt repeal The Affordable Care Act, according to Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa).
Sen. Tex Cruz (R-Texas) had attached to the Democratic budget resolution an amendment that sought to “establish a deficit-neutral reserve fund to provide for the repeal of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.”
In short, the Texas senator tried to repeal “Obamacare” and encourage “patient-centered reforms to reduce costs,” as The Hill puts it.
“Obamacare was passed with many promises, and in reality, it has not delivered,” Cruz said right before the vote. “Obamacare is hurting young people, it’s hurting seniors, it’s hurting Hispanics, it’s hurting African-Americans, it’s hurting the economy and it should be repealed.”
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell before the vote also warned that the new health care law will be an expensive drag on the economy.
“Three years later, the President’s health care law remains a job-killer that grows the government and slows the economy, which is why it’s important to repeal the whole thing and replace it with commonsense reforms that lower costs and that Americans actually want,” McConnell said.
Sen. Cruz’s amendment was easily voted down by 52 Democrats and two Independents. All 45 Republicans voted in favor of the amendment.
Here is the author of S.Amdt. 202 to S.Con.Res. 8:
Here are his eight co-sponsors:
Here are all the “Yea” votes:
And here are all the “Nay” votes:
And here’s the one senator who just didn’t vote:
“I am proud that Senate Republicans once again stood united and unanimously voted to undo this devastating legislation,” Cruz said after the vote.
“Our economy is stagnant right now — last quarter it was 0.1 percent — and sadly, every Democrat who voted, voted to continue implementing Obamacare even as the economy is gasping for breath.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image Getty Images. This post has been updated.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 530 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 489 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 469 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 326 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 144 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 125 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Teixeira expects to play in minors Wednesday
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- Venezuela to create new workers militia
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review
- AP Source: Jets RB Goodson to practice Tuesday
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split