When Israel apologized to Turkey and announced it would compensate alleged victims of the Mavi Marmara flotilla incident, supporters of the Jewish State were none-too-pleased. While Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may have had diplomatic reasons for the decision, it is not shocking that the proceeds from his country’s generous compensation package would be funneled directly back into the hands of the radical Hamas.
Yes, on April 3, the Hürriyet Daily News reported that a “Mavi Marmara victim announced he will “donate compensation to Hamas, Islamic Jihad.”
Tunç, who was part of the Gaza bound flotilla back in 2010, told reporters that nine of his friends had been martyred by Israeli forces in a raid he said was “against international law.” Hurriyet adds
Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç and Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu hosted the families of the Mavi Marmara victims late April 2. The ministers informed the families at a dinner about the recent reconciliation process between Turkey and Israel, which was started by an Israeli apology for the losses in the Mavi Marmara incident. The lawyers of the families were also present at the meeting.
The families have not yet made their final decision as to whether accept the compensation that will eventually be offered by Israel and withdraw from cases against Israeli soldiers, according to sources.
Arınç said yesterday that the families had said that “any words about compensation would sadden them. The core of the issue is the apology and lifting of the embargo [on the Gaza Strip]. The government’s work on compensation would be right for them as well.”
Of course lifting the embargo would help facilitate the delivery of arms into Gaza, and thus, the hands of radical jihadists.