President Barack Obama faced no shortage of controversy during his first term in office. From Birther claims to secret chatter about whether he is the anti-Christ, some critics have embraced intriguing notions. While certainly not touted by the majority of the population (or by the president’s critics, for that matter), many believe that these curiosities have impacted some of the critique the president has received.
As for anti-Christ claims, a new study measuring Americans’ beliefs in conspiracy theories came to a fascinating find. Conducted by Public Policy Polling (PPP), the survey found that 13 percent of voters believe Obama is the anti-Christ, 73 percent don’t embrace such a notion — and an additional 13 percent are unsure.
The partisan divide is also worth noting.
“[Twenty percent] of Republicans believe that President Obama is the [anti]-Christ, compared to 13% of independents and 6% of Democrats who agree,” PPP writes.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the other findings, as per the polling firm’s website:
- 6% of voters believe Osama bin Laden is still alive
- 21% of voters say a UFO crashed in Roswell, NM in 1947 and the US government covered it up. More Romney voters (27%) than Obama voters (16%) believe in a UFO coverup
- 28% of voters believe secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order. A plurality of Romney voters (38%) believe in the New World Order compared to 35% who don’t
- 28% of voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9/11 attacks. 36% of Romney voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, 41% do not
- 20% of voters believe there is a link between childhood vaccines and autism, 51% do not
And that’s just a portion of the intriguing subjects that were tackled in the study (read all of the findings here). Other questions were asked, including whether former President George W. Bush lied to the American public about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq (the nation is divided on whether they believe “Bush intentionally misled”).
Eleven percent also believe that the U.S. government allowed 9/11 to unfold. Oh, and 29 percent of Americans purportedly believe that aliens exist.
Read the rest and see the other quirky questions that were asked.
Other Must-Read Articles:
- Archaeologists Uncover Deadly ‘Gate to Hell’ in Turkey
- This Newly-Adopted Mandate Will Drive Gun Control Advocates Mad
- Embarrassing? Obama Shoots 22 Baskets — But Can You Guess How Many He Actually Made?
- Are Americans Really Giving Up Their Guns?
- Woman Claims She Died and Woke Up With God in Heaven: ‘I Saw an Immense Brightness’