The Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s daughter, Jeri, 47, is apparently in a heap of trouble. According to a report in the Chicago Tribune, the fiery preacher’s daughter has been indicted in a federal probe surrounding alleged fraud.
She is currently facing two counts of money laundering, two counts of making false statements to officers and seven counts of delivering false grand jury testimony. Why, you ask? Allow us to explain.
Jeri, whose last name is also Wright, is being accused of helping a former police chief take monies from her non-profit organization to be used for personal purposes.
The new charges against the pastor’s child emerge about one year after former Country Club Hills Police Chief Regina Evans was charged with fraud surrounding a grant that was awarded to her non-profit organization.
WGN-TV has more:
The organization, We Are Our Brothers Keeper, was apparently given a $1.25 million job-training award. Now, Jeri is being included in the alleged plot surrounding how the monies were utilized. The Tribune explains, in detail:
Jeri Wright of Hazel Crest is accused of helping former Country Club Hills Police Chief Regina Evans convert fake paychecks from Evans’ nonprofit to Evans’ personal use, allegedly hiding money that was supposed to be used to train minority and female workers in the building trades.
Federal prosecutors in the Illinois’ central district say Jeri Wright received about $28,000 in grant-tied paychecks in 2009, but $20,000 of that was deposited back into accounts controlled by Evans. Prosecutors also say Wright then lied to officers and a grand jury.
As for Evans, the Tribune notes that her problems began after authorities accused her and her husband of using the grant money to pay friends and relatives and to cover the mortgage on another local property they own.
Evans is claiming she didn’t do anything wrong.
(H/T: Chicago Tribune)
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Colo. Sheriff Alleges Shock Training to TheBlaze: DHS-Bound Official Warned Against ‘Christians Who Take the Bible Literally’
- Colorado State Patrol Goes After Sheriff Who Alleged Anti-Christian Training Session: ‘He Misrepresented the Training Material’
- Is Joel Osteen Really Leaving the Christian Faith, Lambasting the Bible and Launching His Own Religion?
- Wash. State Suing Christian Florist After She Refuses to Provide Flowers for Gay Wedding
- Professor Under Investigation for Allegedly Forcing Students to Make Anti-Gun Posters