As the details of the horrific Boston Marathon bombings unfold, one of the most heart-wrenching elements is the death of an 8-year-old boy. Media outlets have identified the young victim as Martin Richard from Dorchester, Massachusetts. His mother and sister were also reportedly seriously injured in the blasts.
Martin was apparently waiting at the finish line to give his father, who was participating in the race, a hug when the bombs went off. An article in the Boston Globe describes the horror that the Richard family has experienced — and continues to endure.
The boy allegedly walked toward the finish line to greet his father, but after his dad, William, kept walking, Martin rejoined his mother and little sister on the sidewalk. It was at that moment, the Globe reports, that the explosives detonated.
In addition to killing Martin, the bomb took his sister’s leg and injured his mother (some outlets are claiming that the mother, identified as Denise Richard, had surgery on Monday night to deal with a purported brain injury). NBC reports that a third child is allegedly uninjured.
William is cited in numerous articles as a community leader in Dorchester — and, on Monday night, people assembled at a local restaurant to remember Martin and to honor the family. Leaders and residents, alike, were stunned by the immeasurable loss.
“They are beloved by this community. They contribute in many ways. That’s why you see this outpouring,” explained City Councilor at Large Ayanna Pressley in an interview with the Globe. “It’s surreal, it’s tragic, it’s incomprehensible. Everyone here tonight is trying to comfort one another and be prayerful.”
Details about the boy are still emerging, but a neighbor named Jane Sherman described Martin as a child who enjoyed riding his bicycle and playing baseball, WCVB-TV reports.
“There are no words to describe how they are feeling … we are feeling,” Sherman said in an interview with the outlet.
HLN has more about the young boy and his family:
For a quick recap of everything you need to know about the Boston bombings, click here.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Here’s a Quick Recap of What You Need to Know About the Boston Bombings This Morning
- Muslim Brotherhood Leader Pens Bizarre Boston Bombing Note Pointing to Widespread Conspiracy
- Go Inside Philly Abortion Doctor’s Shocking Murder Trial: More Disturbing Details Emerge (WARNING: Graphic)
- Chris Matthews on Boston Bombings: ‘Domestic Terrorists…Tend to Be on the Far Right’
- Who Wore a T-Shirt Mixing Sandy Hook Victims and Trayvon Martin to the MTV Movie Awards and Said It Wasn’t ‘Political’?
- Meet the Teacher Who’s Bringing God Back Into Public Schools — But Who Says He’s a Big ‘Threat’ to Religious Conservatives