WASHINGTON (TheBlaze/AP) — Amid the celebration surrounding the opening of son George W. Bush’s presidential library Thursday, former first lady Barbara Bush brushed aside talk of a Jeb Bush run for the White House in 2016.
Appearing in an interview from Dallas on NBC’s “Today” show, Mrs. Bush was asked if she thought that Jeb, the former governor of Florida, should seek the presidency.
“He’s by far the best qualified man,” Mrs. Bush said, “but no.”
“We’ve had enough Bushes,” she said, saying “it’s not just four families, or whatever.”
If the Bush brother was considering seeking the White House in 2016 or beyond, his mother’s comments are likely unpalatable. Plus, there’s no doubt that the quote, “We’ve had enough Bushes” would be fodder for potential Democratic opponents.
The Bush family matriarch went on to say she thought there were many worthy candidates, telling anchor Matt Lauer, “There are people out there” who are qualified.
Mrs. Bush, who had a reputation for bluntness when her husband George H.W. Bush was president, spoke from the site of the presidential library. On Wednesday, George W. Bush told CNN he thought Jeb Bush should run.
“He would be a marvelous candidate if he chooses to do so,” Bush told ABC’s Diane Sawyer.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- No Gun in the Boat? Key Details Change in Chaotic Shootout and Subsequent Capture of Boston Bombing Suspect
- Actor Who Played Jesus Was ‘Haunted’ by This Scene From ‘The Bible’
- Is the Woman in This Mosque’s Promo Video the Boston Bomber Suspect’s Wife?
- Major Gun Battle Erupts — But It’s Not What You’re Thinking
- Gosnell Judge Issues Surprising Reversal, Reinstates Murder Charge Over Baby Allegedly Breathing 20 Minutes After Birth (Plus: Defense Rests)