Finding a little creepy crawly in a canned or frozen veggie isn’t unheard. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration allows a certain amount of insect fragments and rodent hairs — just to name a couple — in some food products. These “defects” though are often minuscule and unnoticeable.
Unfortunately — or fortunately, depending on how you look at it — this was not the case for the canned veggie of choice in the Chubb household.
“We eat a lot of green beans. We do. We did,” Gloria Chubb of St. Joseph County, Indiana, said, according to WBND. “Nobody wants any more now.”
That’s because they found a toad in their grocery-store brand side dish set to accompany a traditional meal of meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
“My son put some on his plate and said, ‘What is that?’ I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have bacon in them sometimes. I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn’t moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans, other than that he was fully intact,” Chubb said, according to WBND.
Afterward, Chubb said she was “sick, nauseated for two days” and noted that she doesn’t think “I’ll have green beans anytime soon.”
Watch this report on the incident from WZZM:
The frog (or toad, it’s unclear which amphibian it was) and the can in question were taken to the St. Joseph County Health Department for inspection, which will then transfer it to the Indiana State Department of Health.
What likely happened, according to St. Joseph County Health Department’s Rita Hooten is that the green beans were picked from the field, along with the toad, which ended up making its way through all the processing at a Wisconsin plant.
In a fast-moving processing plant, the amphibian was missed during inspections.
“I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables,” Chubb said. “I mean anything can happen you know but a whole frog?”
The grocery store Meijer, where the green beans were purchased, said in a statement they “sincerely regret this customer’s experience, and we are in the process of investigating the incident.”
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.