A Florida high school student has been expelled, arrested and charged for possession of a weapon at school after she mixed chemicals in a bottle, causing an explosion Monday.
WTSP reported classmates of Kiera Wilmot, 16, saying it was a “science project gone bad.” They said Wilmot “just wanted to see what happened” when one mixed household chemicals in an 8-ounce water bottle. The result, which occurred around 7 a.m. April 29, caused the cap to pop along with smoke and a small explosion.
Wilmot was arrested and charged as an adult for possession/discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device, according to WTSP.
But students at Bartow High School don’t think Wilmot ever had malicious intent.
“I don’t think she’s that type of person. She wouldn’t hurt anyone,” student Chelsey Turner said.
Principal Ron Pritchard too said Wilmot “is a good kid” who had “never been in trouble before. Ever.” Pritchard also said that he believes Wilmot was shocked by the result the mixed chemicals had.
Watch WTSP’s report:
The Polk County School District released a statement regarding the incident:
Anytime a student makes a bad choice it is disappointing to us. Unfortunately, the incident that occurred at Bartow High School yesterday was a serious breach of conduct. In order to maintain a safe and orderly learning environment, we simply must uphold our code of conduct rules. We urge our parents to join us in conveying the message that there are consequences to actions. We will not compromise the safety and security of our students and staff.
Since being expelled, WTSP reported that Wilmot will complete the year through an expulsion program.
WTSP tried to contact the Wilmot family at their home but when they approached the door it reported hearing the voice of a teen girl yell, “You’ve blown everything out of proportion!” Wilmot’s twin sister reportedly cried and fled a classroom when another student brought up her sister’s arrest.