Reacting to Vice President Joe Biden’s reported plan to continue pushing gun control, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) challenged the VP to a debate on gun control while speaking at the National Rifle Association Leadership Forum on Friday.
“I would like to invite the vice president to engage in an hour long conversation and debate, ‘How do we stop crime'” Cruz said, speaking before thousands of people. “If Vice President Biden really believes that the facts are on his side…then I would think he would welcome the opportunity to talk about the sources, the causes of violent crime, who is carrying it out, and how we can do everything humanly possible to stop it.”
Cruz also jabbed at Biden for his so-called gun “advice,” which included taking a shotgun and firing two shots in the air to deter an attacker.
However, Cruz did note that Biden’s suggestion would be “very useful, if it so happens that you’re being attacked by a flock of geese.” That being said, Cruz said he doesn’t consider Biden to be a formidable opponent on the issue of guns.
Cruz also said the federal government should put its efforts into prosecuting criminals who illegally buy guns and not into trying to pass new gun control laws.
President Barack Obama’s administration has not done enough to prosecute felons and fugitives who illegally buy guns and has cut funding for such efforts, he said.
Cruz also said the Obama administration had cut millions of dollars in funding for school safety.
The Republican Texas firebrand – who has become one of the top Tea Party voices in Washington since being elected last year – said the target of gun control legislation is not violent criminals but law-abiding citizens.
Watch his entire speech below:
The Associated Press contributed to this report. Featured image via AP.
- A Sneak Peek at the Amazing Guns Glenn Beck Will Be Using During His NRA Keynote Speech
- ‘Now Is the Time to Stand’: Glenn Beck Rallies Gun Rights Supporters at NRA Conference
- Backstage With Glenn Beck at Last Year’s NRA Convention
- One of the Most Unlikely Gun Advocates Tells His Story
- Mark Mabry’s NRA Convention Journal
- Decorated Vet Who Was Arrested After ‘Rudely Displaying’ His Rifle on Hike With Teen Son Gets a HUGE Shock at the NRA Convention