A former top U.S. diplomat in Libya said he was effectively “demoted” after questioning United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice’s explanation that the deadly Benghazi attack was the result of a protest over a video.
Gregory Hicks, the former deputy chief of mission under slain Ambassador Christopher Stevens, now holds the title of foreign affairs officer in the Office of Global Intergovernmental Affairs — an almost catch-all designation.
“I’ve been effectively demoted from deputy chief of mission,” Hicks said.
He testified to members of the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday that he was “stunned” and “embarrassed” upon hearing Rice blame an anti-Islam YouTube video for the assault. He said he voiced his concerns, and upon returning to the U.S. received a “blistering critique” of his management style — after having recently been praised by President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
“In hindsight I think it began after I asked a question about Ambassador Rice’s statement on the TV shows,” Hicks said, after being asked what the “seminal” moment had been in all of his new professional criticism.
- Started as a ‘Routine Day’: The Full, Unbelievable & Detailed Timeline Given by One Benghazi Whistleblower
- GOP Rep. Reads Previously Unreleased Benghazi Email During Hearing, Whistleblower Says He Was ‘Stunned’ Attack Was Blamed on Video
- Benghazi Witness on Stand-Down Order: ‘First Time in My Career That a Diplomat Has More Balls Than Somebody in the Military’
- I Was Told Not to Talk to Congressional Investigators, Second Benghazi Whistleblower Testifies
- Benghazi Whistleblower Chokes Up During Hearing: ‘It Matters to Me’
From the breaking news you need to know to the hottest trends circling the Web, TheBlaze has it all. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope.