This morning, Bucks County Courier Times columnist J.D. Mullane tweeted from the courtroom that the jury in the Dr. Kermit Gosnell case is hung on two charges, noting that they were not specific about which counts were included in this designation.
The announcement came on the 10th day of deliberations in a contentious court case that has created new calls for a comprehensive late-term abortion debate in America.
Around 11:20 a.m. ET, Mullane noted that Judge Jeffrey Minehart had instructed the jury to return to deliberations on the two counts in question. At this point, the counts are still not being disclosed. The columnist also noted that Gosnell had entered the courtroom smiling and then shaking hands with defense attorney Jack McMahon.
The jury, comprised of five men and seven women, is examining more than 250 charges against Gosnell, who is accused of conducting abortions past 24 weeks (the legal limit in Pennsylvania), four counts of first degree murder for babies purportedly killed after birth and one third degree murder count, among other charges.
This is a breaking news story. Stay tuned for updates.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- ‘This Is Tyranny’: MSNBC Hosts Lambaste Obama Admin, IRS Over ‘Unspeakable’ Targeting of Conservatives
- Report: Traveler From Saudi Arabia Arrested With Pressure Cooker at Detroit Airport
- Obama Dismisses GOP Criticism of Benghazi as ‘Sideshow’: ‘The Whole Thing Defies Logic’
- ‘Outrageous’: Obama Vows Full Investigation, Accountability Amid IRS Intimidation Furor
- Are Stories of Historical Christian Martyrdom ‘Exaggerated, Invented and Forged’? Professor Outlines Myth Theory
- Drunk’ BBC Host Slurs Words, Giggles — and Gets Yanked Off-Air During Live Show