Speaking at a press conference alongside British Prime Minister David Cameron, President Barack Obama responded to a question about intimidation and the targeting of conservative organizations by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). In addition to openly referring to the admitted act as an “outrageous” one, he said that those involved will be held fully accountable for their actions.
Obama did anything but dismiss conservative outrage over the IRS revelations, noting that citizens are right in being concerned. Additionally he said that, regardless of which party is in office, the American people should be able to trust government institutions like the IRS.
“The IRS as an independent agency requires absolute integrity and people have to have confidence that they’re … applying the laws in a non-partisan way. You should feel that way regardless of party,” Obama said. “If you’ve got the IRS operating in anything less than a neutral and non-partisan way then that is outrageous, it is contrary to our traditions and people have to be accountable and it’s got to be fixed.”
Watch Obama address his views on the IRS scandal, below:
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Opinion: Why the IRS Scandal Should Lead to Obama’s Impeachment
- ‘This Is Tyranny’: MSNBC Hosts Lambaste Obama Admin, IRS Over ‘Unspeakable’ Targeting of Conservatives
- Report: Traveler From Saudi Arabia Arrested With Pressure Cooker at Detroit Airport
- Obama Dismisses GOP Criticism of Benghazi as ‘Sideshow’: ‘The Whole Thing Defies Logic’
- Are Stories of Historical Christian Martyrdom ‘Exaggerated, Invented and Forged’? Professor Outlines Myth Theory
From the breaking news you need to know to the hottest trends circling the Web, TheBlaze has it all. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope.