We’ve seen how a woman born without arms didn’t let her disability keep her from learning to shoot guns. Now, a Florida man nicknamed “Midnight Gunslinger” is showing that he too hasn’t let his disability stop him from being a fast, accurate shooter either.
Jim Miekka of Citrus County is completely blind.
Bay News 9 reported that Miekka has been practicing fast draw shooting for a year now at the Hernando Sportsman’s Club with other Classical Fast Draw Society members.
“When I first started I was hitting about 25 percent of the time. Now I think I’m hitting about 80 percent or something like that,” Miekka told Bay News 9.
Not only is he accurate, but he can draw and shoot in about a half a second. Miekka noted that sometimes someone will tap the target so he can use his hearing to home in on its exact location.
“Not being able to see the target, remember where it is and actually get right on it. He’s done awesome,” Randie “Mad Jack” Rickert said.
Watch Miekka demonstrate his fast draw skills in a Bay News 9 video here.
According to the Tampa Bay Times, Miekaa had previously invented a rifle scope that allowed him to shoot targets 100 yards away through a system that used sound signals. He showed off his skills with this system on YouTube a few years ago.
“He has invented a light to sound conversion unit that allows him to shoot as accurately as a skilled sighted person,” the description says.
Here Miekka describes how the system works and demonstrates shooting the targets:
Miekka, a former physics teacher, is also known for creating the “Hindenburg Omen,” which predicts drops in the stock market.
As the Tampa Bay Times explained a couple years ago, Miekka, 52, was not born blind but lost his eyesight in an explosion, which also took two of his fingers, at 26 years old.
(H/T: Yahoo! News)
This story has been updated to correct a phrase.
- Meet the Woman Who Shows You How She Lives With No Arms (Including How She Shoots Guns!)
- 15-Year-Old Girl Who Gave Viral Pro-Gun Testimony Speaks Out: ‘Takes Away Our Own Sense of Security and Defense’
- Armed 86-Year-Old Woman Delivers One of the Best Interviews of Year After Standing Up to Burglar
- ‘Shotgun Shirley’ Details Her Pro-Gun Quest for Self-Protection (Plus: See Her Shoot)
- ‘It Was Seriously Getting Me Really Mad’: 11-Year-Old Facebook Gun Photo Speaks Out