Former Baltimore Ravens offensive lineman Matt Birk is a social conservative. His gay marriage views have already been widely shared — and now it seems that his pro-life perspective is coming to light. While his fellow teammates recently went to the White House to accept congratulations from President Barack Obama, Birk decided not to attend.
In an interview with 100.3 FM KFAN, he explained why he didn’t accept the honor — and his reasons had everything to do with the president’s stance on abortion. A strong Catholic, Birk has made no bones about sharing his faith-based views on some of the nation’s most divisive issues. In this case, he is merely following suite.
“I would say this, I would say that I have great respect for the office of the presidency but about five or six weeks ago, our president made a comment in a speech and he said, ‘God bless Planned Parenthood,'” the former football player explained.
“Planned Parenthood performs about 330,000 abortions a year,” he added, noting that he is an active Catholic and that he felt he could not take part in the meeting. “I am active in the pro-life movement and I just felt like I couldn’t deal with that. I couldn’t endorse that in any way.”
And he wasn’t done there. Birk went on to say that he found Obama’s blessing confusing, noting that it seems odd for the president to offer up faith-infused language to a group that ends “330,000 lives a year.”
“I just chose not to attend,” he added.
Birk isn’t alone of his criticism over Obama’s Planned Parenthood blessing. Previously, faith leader John Piper agreed that it was “blasphemous.”
“Thank you, Planned Parenthood. God bless you. God bless America. Thank you,” Obama concluded at the end of his speech at the controversial organization’s annual conference. It is these words that have riled pro-lifers.
Other Must-Read Articles:
- High School Valedictorian Stuns Audience After He Rips Up Speech and Delivers the Lord’s Prayer Instead — Wild Applause Follows
- Hollywood Actor Slams Obama Appointment, Tells Americans to ‘Wake Up’
- ‘Stop It!’: Megyn Kelly and Dem Rep. Who Grilled Conservative Leaders Clash Over IRS Hearing in Contentious Segment
- Who Exactly Is Samantha Power — Obama’s New U.N. Ambassador Pick? Everything You Need to Know
- Revealed: What’s Written on the Back of Billy Graham’s Bible?