VATICAN CITY (TheBlaze/AP) — Pope Francis has revealed that he never wanted to be pope and that he’s living in the Vatican hotel for his “psychiatric” health.
Francis got very personal Friday as he met with thousands of children from Jesuit schools across Italy and Albania.
Answering their questions one by one, Francis told them the decision to become a priest had been difficult for him and that he had suffered “moments of interior darkness” when “you feel dry, without interior joy.”
But he said he went ahead because he loved Christ. When it came to being pontiff, too, he had similar emotions.
One of the most touching moments came when Teresa, a bright-eyed redhead no more than six, asked Francis flat out if he had wanted to be pope.
After joking around, Francis replied: “I didn’t want to be pope.”
Other Must-Read Stories:
- High School Valedictorian Stuns Audience After He Rips Up Speech and Delivers the Lord’s Prayer Instead — Wild Applause Follows
- Could a Christian Baker Who Refused to Make Wedding Cake for a Gay Couple Really Go to Jail?
- We Talked With the Valedictorian Who Ripped Up His Speech and Invoked God: So Why Did He Do It?
- Which Pro-Life NFL Player Snubbed Obama Because of Major Policy Differences on Abortion?
- Tech Guru Puts a Texas Twist on the Bible by Replacing This One Word