Opinions are flying in the wake of the Supreme Court’s gay marriage rulings. And on Wednesday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, once criticized for purportedly abandoning conservative principles and growing too close to President Barack Obama, made his voice more-than-heard on the controversial decisions.
And rather than agreeing with the justices, he blasted their rulings as inappropriate, “wrong” and a flat-out “bad decision.” The politician made these comments during his “Ask the Governor” radio show on Wednesday.
In addition to his disagreement with the sentiment behind the rulings (he called it “judicial supremacy”), Christie noted that he finds Justice Anthony Kennedy’s comments about the case (he wrote the majority’s opinion on the matter) patently offensive.
“I thought that Justice Kennedy’s opinion was, in many respects, incredibly insulting to those people — 340 some members of Congress who voted for the Defense of Marriage Act and Bill Clinton,” the governor said. “He basically said the only reason to pass that bill was to demean people. That’s a heck of a thing to say about Bill Clinton and about the Republican Congress back in the 90s.”
In speaking about his own state of New Jersey, he pledged to veto any legislation seeking the legalization of gay marriage that comes across his desk. But he did leave an opening for those who wish to see same-sex unions legalized.
“Let the people decide,” he said, urging proponents to put the measure on the ballot. “If you put it on the ballot and the people vote for it, I am sworn to enforce and uphold the laws and the constitution of the state if New Jersey.”
Christie has nothing against homosexuals and he even said that he believes people are born with same-sex attraction and that it isn’t a choice. That said, he also believes that marriage has been defined as being between a man and a woman for thousands of years.
“You’re talking about changing an institution that’s over 2,000 years old,” he added.
Watch Christie’s comments, below:
(H/T: Huffington Post)
Other Must-Read Stories:
- ‘I Think Jesus Is Weeping for Joy’ Over Court’s Gay Marriage Rulings: Who Said It?
- F**k Dis S**t Boi’: Star Witness’ Twitter Account Reportedly Scrubbed of Link to Sexually-Suggestive Pics, Drug References Just Before Zimmerman Testimony
- America’s Gay Marriage Battle Is Far From Over — Activists Detail Plan to Push Nationwide Legalization Within Five Years
- Hannity’s Heated Clash With Juan Williams Over Supreme Court’s Voting Rights Ruling: ‘The World’s Changed!’
- Hold On, DOMA Wasn’t Totally Thrown Out: Here’s the Provision That Could Lead to Another Gay Marriage Battle