SANFORD, Fla. (TheBlaze/AP) — The Florida judge presiding over George Zimmerman’s trial has ended the court session without ruling whether she will allow Trayvon Martin’s text messages dealing with fighting to be introduced at Zimmerman’s murder trial.

Judge Debra Nelson said late Tuesday that she would issue a ruling on Wednesday.

Defense Seeks to Introduce Trayvon Martins Texts, Will Likely Rest Its Case Wednesday

SANFORD, FL – JULY 9: George Zimmerman (R), with defense counsel Don West, listens to judge Debra Nelson as she questions him on his understanding of the proceedings, in Seminole circuit court, July 9, 2013 in Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin. Credit: Getty Images

Defense attorneys want to introduce the texts because they say the messages show Martin had an interest in fighting. Prosecutors are opposed to jurors seeing the texts, claiming they are misleading.

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder. The former neighborhood watch volunteer is pleading not guilty, saying he shot the unarmed black teenager in self-defense after they got into a fight last year in a gated community in Sanford, Fla. Civil rights activists protested after an initial delay in charging Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic.

Earlier in the day, defense attorney Mark O’Mara told the judge the defense would likely rest on Wednesday.

 

Other Must-Read Stories