A former U.S. attorney representing Benghazi whistleblowers is claiming that 400 surface-to-air missiles were “stolen” and “taken from Libya” and are now “in the hands of some very ugly people.” He also said the Obama administration is “deeply concerned” that the weapons may be used to shoot down airliners.
In an interview with WMAL radio, Joe DiGenova explained that the stolen missiles also represent one of the reasons the U.S. State Department shut down 19 embassies across the Middle East last week.
He said the development has the Obama administration “deeply concerned” and on alert.
Even more potentially shocking, DiGenova claimed the missiles are now in the hands of Al Qaeda operatives, according to his sources. His sources include “former intelligence officials who stay in constant contact with people in the Special Ops and intelligence community.”
“And it’s pretty clear that the biggest concern right now are 400 missiles which have been diverted in Libya and have gotten in the hands of some very ugly people,” he added.
What was not immediately clear is why the U.S. government had stockpiled 400 surface-to-air missiles somewhere in Libya, or when exactly they were stolen and where they were taken from, although the suggestion seems to be the were taken around the time of the attack.
When asked if the weapons were taken from the annex on the night of September 11, DiGenova said “that I do not know, whether they were at the annex.” However, the attorney said “it is clear that the [CIA] annex was somehow involved in the process of the distribution of those missiles.”
DiGenova’s wife, Victoria Toensing, also represents Benghazi witnesses and other individuals with direct knowledge of the attack.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated for clarity, and to note that DiGenova is uncertain whether the weapons were at the CIA annex on the night of the September 11 attack.
(H/T: Daily Mail)