The father of a 3-year-old boy who died after shooting himself in the head took to Facebook hours after the tragedy to reaffirm his support for the Second Amendment.
Brian Holbrook of Dundee, Mich. said there is “nothing wrong with guns” and it’s what “this country was built on.”
“I will still support the Second Amendment,” Holbrook posted. “All I ask is that everyone please, please safety first lock it up and put it out of reach of anyone that has no business being around a gun especially kids.”
Police said Damon Holbrook accidentally shot himself in the head Sunday after finding a loaded gun in a bedroom closet belonging to a family friend that had been living at the home, WXYZ-TV reported. Joshua Michael Greenhill, who has a concealed permit license, was arraigned on the charge of careless discharge of a firearm and faces up to two years in prison or a fine of $2,000.
Holbrook said on Facebook he is “hoping to wake up from this nightmare.”
“My baby boy is gone & I will never get to hold him again. I will miss him terribly…Gun safety people! My boy would still [be] here if it was put away like it should have been,” Holbrook said.
Police told WXYZ they believe additional, more serious charges are coming.