Syrian President Bashar al-Assad reportedly said on Sunday there is no evidence showing he is directly responsible for last month’s chemical weapons attack on the Damascus suburbs.
“He basically said here has been no evidence that I used chemical weapons against my own people,” Charlie Rose said a defiant Assad told him during an interview held on Sunday at the Presidential Palace.
The interview has yet to air (it will be broadcasted Monday night on PBS), but Rose previewed the highlights in a phone conversation with “Face the Nation” host Bob Schieffer on Sunday.
“[I]f in fact the administration has evidence then they should show that evidence and make their case,” Rose said Assad added.
“He suggested as he has before that perhaps the rebels had something to do with it,” Rose said.
As TheBlaze reported earlier today, President Barack Obama has failed to provide evidence to the public that shows Assad, or a member of his inner circle, ordered the gas attack that took place last month.
“While U.S. officials say Assad is responsible for the chemical weapons strike even if he did not directly order it, they have not been able to fully describe a chain of command for the August 21 attack in the Ghouta area east of the Syrian capital,” Reuters said in an article published Saturday.
The Obama administration, however, has maintained their position that the Assad regime undoubtedly used sarin gas against their own people.
In the interview, Assad also reportedly said he is “prepared” for a strike and warned of “retaliation” if the U.S. strikes Syria.
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter