“60 Minutes” correspondent Lara Logan and her producer are taking a leave of absence at the request of CBS News after airing a flawed and discredited report on the Benghazi attacks.
CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager made the announcement to staffers Tuesday, according to multiple media reports.
“We have rebuilt CBS News in a way that has dramatically improved our reporting abilities. Ironically ’60 Minutes,’ which has been a model for those changes, fell short by broadcasting a now discredited account of an important story, and did not take full advantage of the reporting abilities of CBS News that might have prevented it from happening,” Fager said in a memo obtained by the Huffington Post. “As a result, I have asked Lara Logan, who has distinguished herself and has put herself in harm’s way many times in the course of covering stories for us, to take a leave of absence, which she has agreed to do. I have asked the same of producer Max McClellan, who also has a distinguished career at CBS News.”
Logan apologized earlier this month for the Oct. 27 report after multiple questions were raised about the credibility of its key source. After CBS initially stood by the story, Logan said the “60 Minutes” team was “misled” by Dylan Davies, the security contractor who gave a dramatic account of rushing to the U.S. compound on the night of the assault that left four Americans dead.
Other Must-Read Stories
From the breaking news you need to know to the hottest trends circling the Web, TheBlaze has it all. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope.