It’s the email no employee ever wants to receive, let alone just days before Christmas.
“All staff is terminated,” Snarf’s Sub Shop in Chicago said in an email to its 20 employees.
Read some of the email, obtained by Chicago Grid, below:
1. Due to increased competition and losses, ownership has decided to consider remodeling and reconcepting the store at 600 West Chicago Ave.
2. The store is closing, effective tomorrow, December 23, 2013 for an unknown period of time for this remodeling and reconcepting.
3. All staff is terminated, effective Monday, December 23, 2013.
4. All staff may apply for unemployment, if eligible.
5. Return any keys and Company property to Will Ravert at 600 West Chicago Avenue on Monday, December 23, 2014 during normal business hours.
6. Payroll will be processed as usual this week and paid on Friday, December 27, 2013.
7. Keep an eye out for the grand opening of the new store.
8. Ownership appreciates your service and wish you well in your new endeavors.
Director of Operations
A Snarf’s spokeswoman reportedly confirmed the authenticity of the email to Chicago Grid.
Just weeks ago, Snarf’s employees were reportedly protesting with fast food workers for higher wages in demonstrations organized by the Worker’s Organizing Committee of Chicago. The restaurant closed for four days from Dec. 5 through Dec. 8 as a result of the protests.
The Snarf’s spokeswoman denied that the mass firing was related to the strike. She claimed that the company aligned the remodeling with the restaurant’s slowest season.
(H/T: Daily Mail)